16th INTERNATIONAL CHORAL COMPETITION GALLUS – MARIBOR 2021
Phone: +386 (2) 23 42 117 / +386 (1) 24 10 506 / +386 (1) 24 10 525
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Home page: www.jskd.si/maribor
JSKD (Republic of Slovenia Public Fund for Cultural Activities) and its regional office in Maribor
Municipality of Maribor
Organising Committee of the Competition
Union of Cultural Societies of Slovenia
Union of Cultural Societies of Maribor
Friday, 16 April 2021
From 13.00: Welcome of competing vocal groups and choirs, time for acoustic rehearsals in the afternoon.
Evening: non-competitive concert of all participating groups with typical music from choirs’ native countries.
Saturday, 17 April 2021
Morning: competition – compulsory program
Afternoon: competition – free program
Sunday, 18 April 2021
11 a.m.: Competition for the Grand Prix of the 16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021.
3 p.m.: Official announcement of results and awards
5 p.m.: Festive banquet and farewell meeting of all participants.
Until 30 June 2020 – Due to timely planning of the tour, Non-European choirs may at any time until 30 June 2020 prior to the application deadline, send a pre-application, based on which the artistic council will evaluate whether the group fulfils the expected level to participate in the competition, and classify it in the narrower (but not final!) selection. Final classifying in the competition will be confirmed in September 2020 based on the sent complete application and after comparison with other applying choirs. To pre-apply, ensembles have to fill the electronic PRE-APPLICATION form and insert the following material:
1) CV of the choir
2) audio or video recording of at least three compositions, recorded in 2019 or 2020 (recordings must include a cappella performance of at least three different periods/styles).
Ensembles will be notified of their classifying in the narrower selection in 2 weeks, after which they must send a complete application in the deadline, as stated below under the section APPLICATION.
June 2020 – the scores of the compulsory Slovenian compositions will be announced.
Friday, 18 September 2020 – deadline for filing online application with required material.
Announcement of the selected choirs:
Wednesday, 30 September 2020
January 2021 – choirs will receive invoice for the admission fee to be paid.
Scores and eventual changes of the program:
Friday, 12 February 2021 – by that day, the participants have to send eventual changes of the program and the scores for the jury members.
16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021 is intended for vocal groups, female, male and mixed choirs.
Only amateur vocal groups and choirs can participate at the competition.
Conductor and eventual instrumentalists can be professional musicians.
The number of singers is limited: vocal group must have at least 4 and at most 11 singers, a choir must have at least 12 and at most 48 singers.
Number of participating choirs is limited: at most 4 vocal groups and 8 choirs can participate at the competition.
Artistic Council of the Competition (appointed by the Organising Committee) selects participating choirs according to their artistic merits, inherent in the application materials.
2. APPLICATION MATERIALS
Choirs must precisely fill-in the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM and insert the application material in the online application form:
1) recordings of the choir (made no earlier than 1 January 2020), consisting of a cappella music of 3 different periods/styles (for example: one from the renaissance period, one romantic and one contemporary composition),
2) an interesting photography of the choir in high resolution,
3) one clearly readable score of each composition, entered in the competition program, where the only exception is the score of compulsory Slovenian composition.
Selected choirs will be obliged to send 5 additional copies of all competing compositions for the members of the Jury (photocopies are allowed only with Publisher’s written approval – or composer’s written approval for manuscripts) till Friday, 12 February 2021. After the competition, these will be returned to the applicants.
16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021 is divided into 1 non-competitive and 3 competitive events.
- Each choir must present musical program with stylistic integrity, characteristic for its native country (we are looking for original concept with folk or vocal jazz, pop, gospel, early music, or any other typical music or style from your native country).
- Performance in national costumes and singing by heart in case of folk-song program is much desired.
- The entire duration of the selected compositions should not exceed 6 minutes of pure music.
- Selected compositions cannot be repeated in the competitive programs.
1. Compulsory Program
- Composition by Jacobus Handl Gallus of choir’s own choice (ref. ed. Monumenta Artis Musicae Sloveniae – MAMS SASA, Ljubljana),
Additional information on Gallus compositions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Licenced copies of the selected piece available from email@example.com
- Composition from the Romantic period of choir’s own choice, written until 1920.
- Compulsory Slovenian Folk Song Arrangement (for additional information on the score, contact firstname.lastname@example.org in June 2020.
- Program must be sung a cappella. Entire duration of all 3 compositions must not exceed 12 minutes.
- Compulsory program must be performed in the prescribed order.
2. Free Program
- Choirs perform original compositions in this category (folk songs and their arrangements are not allowed!).
- Program must be sung a cappella.
- Program must comprise at least 2 compositions.
- Compositions from the compulsory program are not allowed in the free program.
- Entire duration of all compositions must be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Grand Prix of the 16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021
At most 5 vocal groups/choirs with the highest average score from the compulsory and the free program will qualify for the Grand Prix Competition. The sequence of choirs will be drawn by lot in public.
- Program must comprise at least 3 compositions.
- Only one composition can be repeated from the compulsory or free program.
- Only one composition can be a folksong.
- Only one composition can have instrumental accompaniment, if it is prescribed in the original score of the composition.
- Entire duration of all compositions must be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.
Piano will be available for eventual accompaniment. Organiser is not obligated to provide any other instrument.
1. COMPOSITION OF THE JURY
Jury will comprise 5 renowned members – experts in choral music: 2 from Slovenia and 3 from abroad.
2. WORK OF THE JURY
Each member of the jury will evaluate all competitive performances of each choir with a numeric mark (the highest mark is 100).
Jury will evaluate:
a) Technical prowess of each choir.
b) Difficulty of the selected program.
c) Artistic persuasiveness of the performance.
3. ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
List of vocal groups/choirs that will be allowed to compete at the Grand Prix Competition will be made known at most one hour after the completion of the free program.
The results of the competitive performances will only be officially announced at the final ceremony on Sunday afternoon.
All Jury’s decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
All competing choirs will receive a written appraisal of their performances by each member of the Jury.
1. GRAND PRIX OF THE 16th INTERNATIONAL CHORAL COMPETITION GALLUS – MARIBOR 2021
Grand Prix will be awarded to the vocal group/choir with the highest average score from all 3 categories (Compulsory Program, Free Program and the Grand Prix Competition).
2. PARTICIPATION IN THE EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX FOR CHORAL SINGING 2022
The best choir with a minimum of 12 singers will be chosen to compete at the finale for the European Grand Prix for Choral 2022 (held in May 2020 in Tours, France).
In case of ex aequo, the ensemble that wins more categories will be chosen to compete at the EGP 2022
3. MONETARY AWARDS AND DIPLOMAS
The following monetary awards and plaques will be given to ensembles that will have qualified for the Grand Prix of the 16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021, according to the received scores at the competition.
1st place: the Grand Prix, the monetary award €2,500 and memorial plaque,
2nd place: the monetary award €2,000 and the memorial plaque,
3rd place: the monetary award €1,500 and the memorial plaque,
4th place: the memorial plaque for the finalist,
5th place: the memorial plaque for the finalist.
In the case of two or more equal scores, the actual monetary prize and the following prize(s) will be divided between the vocal groups/choirs in the equal amounts.
4. ADDITIONAL MONETARY AWARDS AND PRIZES
- To the best choir of equal voices if it is not awarded the prize for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place: €700.
- To the best vocal group if it is not awarded the prize for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place: €700.
- To the conductor for the best performance of composition by Iacobus Handl Gallus: €300 (on Jury’s proposal).
- To the conductor for the best performance of compulsory contemporary Slovenian composition: €300 (on Jury’s proposal).
- Award of the public to the best choir of their choice at the Opening Concert.
- The panel of Slovene conductors chooses the choir with the most original concept and convincing performance at the opening concert.
Organiser will give a Certificate of Participation at the International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021 to all participating choirs.
Jury can also propose additional awards.
Monetary prizes will be wired to the choir/conductor's account in 14 days after the competition is concluded.
1. APPLICATION FEE
Choirs must pay the application fee: €150.00 per group and an additional €10.00 per each of its participating members.
2. ACCOMODATION AND MEALS
- Up to 42 members of the Vocal Group/Choir (its singers, conductor and instrumentalists) have free meals and accommodation in student dormitories from Friday (beginning at lunch) to Sunday (ending at the final banquet). The group pays the full costs of additional participants.
- In case the vocal group/choir would prefer to stay in the hotel, the organiser covers the accommodation costs in the amount of the student dormitories’ price. The choir must pay the additional costs.
- All travel expenses are covered by the participating choirs themselves.
- All expenses due to premature arrival or postponed departure are covered by the individual choirs themselves.
3. RECORDING RIGHTS
By applying, the choir allows the competition organiser to:
- take audio and video recordings and photos of the performances;
- publish these materials on its page, social media, video channels, in promo materials, TV and radio broadcasts.
The choir may publish the video recordings and photographs taken by the organiser on their page, social media, video channels, in promo materials, TV and radio broadcasts.
1. Organiser is not responsible for any eventual mishap, loss, theft, or similar event during a choir’s stay in Maribor.
2. By applying, the choir confirms to arrange international health insurance for all their members during the competition.
3. Slovenian and English are the official languages at the competition.
4. Original Slovenian text will be given preference in a case of dispute.
5. Course of competition and its realisation is fully covered in the Regulations of the 16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021 that can be obtained from the organiser.
6. Organising Committee of the 16th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2021 approved this document at its 1st session.
7. Organising Committee has the exclusive competence to interpret this document.
8. Choirs confirm their approval of above-mentioned rules by sending a filled-in application form.
9. Organising Committee retains the right to alter the rules of competition in the case of unexpected vis major. In such a case, it must give written notice to all participating choirs.
Phone: +386 (2) 23 42 117 / +386 (1) 24 10 506
Phone: +386 (1) 24 10 525