competition 2019Application Choir and musical programmes Schedule Jury Results and awards Rules of the competition Maribor in CFN and EGP
15th INTERNATIONAL CHORAL COMPETITION GALLUS – MARIBOR 2019
Tel: + 386 1 24 10 525
Fax: + 386 1 24 10 510
Home page: www.jskd.si/maribor
JSKD (Republic of Slovenia Public Fund for Cultural Activities) and its regional office in Maribor
Municipality of Maribor
Organising Committee of the Competition
Union of Cultural Societies of Slovenia
Union of Cultural Societies of Maribor
Friday, 12th April 2019
From 13.00: Welcome of competing vocal groups and choirs, time for acoustic rehearsals in the afternoon.
Evening: Non-competitive concert of all participating groups with typical music from choirs’ native countries.
Saturday, 13th April 2019
Morning: competition – Compulsory program
Afternoon: competition – Free program.
Sunday, 14th April 2019
11.00: Competition for the Grand Prix of the 14th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2019
15.00: Official announcement of results and awards
17.00: Festive banquet and farewell meeting of all participants.
Monday, 28th May 2018 – the scores of the compulsory Slovenian compositions will be available
Friday, 14th September 2018 – application deadline
Announcement of the selected choirs:
Friday, 21st September 2018
Choirs will receive invoice for the admission to be paid in January 2019.
Scores and eventual changes of the program:
Monday,11th February 2019 – by that day, the participants have to send eventual changes of the program and the scores for the jury members.
15th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2019 is intended for vocal groups, female, male and mixed choirs.
Only amateur vocal groups and choirs can participate at the competition.
Conductor and eventual instrumentalists can be professional musicians.
The number of singers is limited: vocal group must have at least 4 and at most 11 singers, a choir must have at least 12 and at most 48 singers.
Number of participating choirs is limited: at most 4 vocal groups and 8 choirs can participate at the competition.
Artistic Council of the Competition (appointed by the Organising Committee) selects participating choirs according to their artistic merits, inherent in the application materials.
2. APPLICATION MATERIALS
a) Precisely fill-in Online Application Form
b) Send by Wetransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org :
1. Recordings of the choir (the recordings should not be done earlier than January 2018).
It must consist of a cappella music of 3 different periods/styles - for example: one from the renaissance period, one romantic and one contemporary composition.
2. Interesting photography of the choir
3. One clearly readable score of each composition, entered in the competition program, only exception is the score of compulsory Slovenian composition.
Selected choirs will be obliged to send 5 additional copies of all competing compositions for the members of the Jury (photocopies are allowed only with Publisher’s written approval – or composer’s written approval for manuscripts) till Monday, 11th February 2019. After the competition they will be returned to the applicants.
15th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2019 is divided into 1 non-competitive and 3 competitive events.
A: NON-COMPETITIVE EVENT:
- Each choir must present musical program with stylistic integrity, characteristic for its native country (we are looking for original concept with folk or vocal jazz, pop, gospel, early music, or any other typical music or style from your native country)
- Performance in national costumes and singing by heart in case of folk-song program is much desired.
- The entire duration of the selected compositions should not exceed 6 minutes of pure music.
- Selected compositions cannot be repeated in the competitive programs.
B. COMPETITIVE PROGRAM CONSISTS OF 3 PROGRAMS:
1. Compulsory Program
1) Composition by Jacobus Handl Gallus of choir’s own choice (Ref. Ed. Monumenta Artis Musicae Slovenie – MAMS Ljubljana),
Additional information on Gallus compositions: email@example.com.
Licenced copies of the selected piece available from firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Composition from the Romantic period of choir’s own choice, written until 1920.
3) Compulsory Slovenian Folk Song Arrangement
The composition will be cca. 2,5–3 minutes long. The score will be availabe from Monday, 28th May, 2018.
- Program must be sung a cappella. Entire duration of all 3 compositions must not exceed 12 minutes.
- Compulsory program must be performed in the prescribed order.
2. Free Program
- Choirs perform original compositions in this category (folk songs and their arrangements are not allowed!).
- Program must comprise at least 2 compositions.
- Program must be sung a cappella.
- Compositions from the compulsory program are not allowed in the free program.
- Entire duration of all compositions must be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Grand Prix of the 15th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2019
At most 5 vocal groups/choirs with the highest average score from the compulsory and the free program will qualify for the Grand Prix Competition. The sequence of choirs will be drawn by lot in public.
- Program must comprise at least 3 compositions.
- Only one composition can be repeated from the compulsory or free program.
- Only one composition can be folksong.
- Only one composition can have instrumental accompaniment, if it is prescribed in the original score of the composition.
- Entire duration of all compositions must be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.
Piano will be available for eventual accompaniment. Organiser is not obligated to provide any other instrument.
1. COMPOSITION OF THE JURY
Jury will comprise 5 renowned members – experts in choral music: 2 from Slovenia and 3 from abroad.
2. WORK OF THE JURY
Each member of the jury will evaluate all competitive performances of each choir with numeric mark (the highest mark is 100).
Jury will evaluate:
a) Technical prowess of each choir.
b) Difficulty of selected program.
c) Artistic persuasiveness of the performance.
3. ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
List of vocal groups/choirs that will be allowed to compete at the Grand Prix Competition will be made known at most one hour after the completion of the free program.
The results of the competitive performances will only be officially announced at the final ceremony on Sunday afternoon.
All Jury’s decisions are final and can not be appealed.
All competing choirs will receive a written appraisal of their performances by each member of the Jury.
1. GRAND PRIX OF THE 15th INTERNATIONAL CHORAL COMPETITION GALLUS – MARIBOR 2019
Grand Prix will be awarded to the vocal group/choir with the highest average score from all 3 categories (Compulsory Program, Free Program and the Grand Prix Competition).
2. PARTICIPATION AT EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX FOR CHORAL SINGING 2020
The best choir with a minimum of 12 singers will be chosen to compete at the finale for the European Grand Prix for Choral singing 2020 (held on April 21st or 22nd 2020 in Debrecen, Hungary).
3. PARTICIPATION AT THE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL CONCORDIA VOCIS IN SARDEGNA, ITALY
The best vocal group with a maximum of 11 singers will be invited to perform at the International Festival Concordia Vocis in Sardegna, Italy.
In case of ex aequo vocal group/choir that wins more categories will be chosen to compete at the EGP 2020 or participate at the Festival Concordia Vocis.
4. MONETARY AWARDS AND DIPLOMAS
Monetary awards will be given according to the received scores at the competition.
- 1st place: the Grand Prix, the monetary award 2.500,00 € and memorial plaque,
- 2nd place: the monetary award 2.000,00 € and the memorial plaque,
- 3rd place: the monetary award 1.500,00 € and the memorial plaque,
- 4th place: the memorial plaque for the finalist,
- 5th place: the memorial plaque for the finalist.
In the case of two or more equal scores, the actual monetary prize and the following prize(s) will be divided between the vocal groups/choirs in the equal amounts.
ADDITIONAL MONETARY AWARDS AND PRIZES
- To the best choir of equal voices if it is not the winner of the Grand Prix – 700,00 €,
- To the best vocal group if it is not the winner of the Grand Prix – 700,00 €,
- *To the conductor for the best performance of composition by Iacobus Handl Gallus – 250,00 €.
- *To the conductor for the best performance of compulsory contemporary Slovenian composition – 250,00 €.
- The award of public to the best choir of their choice at the Folk Song Concert –Award in kind.
- The panel of Slovene conductors choose the choir that will present the most original concept and convincing performance at the opening concert – Award in kind.
*On Jury’s proposal
Jury can also propose some additional diplomas.
Organiser will give Certificate of Participation at the International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2019 to all participating choirs.
1. APPLICATION FEE
Choirs must pay the application fee: 100,00 € per group and additional 10,00 € per each of its participating members.
2. ACCOMODATION AND MEALS
- Up to 42 members of the Vocal Group/Choir (its singers, conductor and instrumentalists) have free meals and accommodation in student dormitories from Friday (beginning at lunch) to Sunday (ending at the final banquet). The group pays the full costs of additional participants.
- In case the vocal group/choir would prefer to stay in the hotel the organiser covers the accommodation costs in the amount of the student dormitories. The choir has to pay the additional costs.
- All travel expenses are covered by the participating choirs themselves.
- All expenses due to premature arrival or postponed departure are covered by the individual choirs themselves.
3. RECORDING RIGHTS
All rights on audio, video and photographic recordings made at the competition belong to the organiser. Choirs will not get any recompense for their performances; but will receive audio recording of their performances on CD’s and photos.
- Organiser is not responsible for any eventual mishaps, loses, thefts, or alike during a choir’s stay in Maribor.
- Slovenian and English are official languages at the competition.
- Original Slovenian text will be given preference in cases of dispute.
- Course of competition and its realisation is fully covered in the Regulations of the 15th International Choral Competition Gallus–Maribor 2019 that can be obtained from the organiser.
- Organising Committee of the 15th International Choral Competition Gallus – Maribor 2019 approved this document at its 1st session.
- Organising Committee has the sole responsibility to interpret it.
- Choirs confirm their approval of above-mentioned rules by sending a filled-in application form.
- Organising Committee retains the right to alter rules of competition in the case of unexpected vis major. In such case it must give written notice to all participating choirs.