13TH INTERNATIONAL CHORAL COMPETITION GALLUS MARIBOR 2015
13th INTERNATIONAL CHORAL COMPETITION GALLUS MARIBOR 2015
Tel: + 386 1 24 10 525
Fax: + 386 1 24 10 510
Home page: www.jskd.si/maribor
JSKD (Republic of Slovenia Public Fund for Cultural Activities) and its regional office in Maribor
Municipality of Maribor
Organising Committee of the Competition
Union of Cultural Societies of Slovenia
Union of Cultural Societies of Maribor
SCHEDULE OF THE COMPETITION
Friday, 10th April 2015
From 13:00: Welcome of competing vocal groups and choirs, time for acoustic rehearsals in the afternoon.
Evening: non-competitive concert of all participating groups with typical music from choirs’ native countries.
Saturday, 11th April 2013
Morning: competition – compulsory program
Afternoon: competition – free program.
Sunday, 12th April 2013
11.00 Competition for the Grand Prix of the 13th International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2015.
15.30: Official announcement of results and awards
17.00: Festive banquet and farewell meeting of all participants.
Monday, 8th September 2014 – the scores of the compulsory Slovenian compositions will be announced
Monday, 24th November 2014 – last date on the post office seal
Announcement of the selected choirs:
Monday, 10th December 2014
Choirs will receive invoice for the admission (300 €) - to be paid in January 2015.
Scores and eventual changes of the program:
Monday, 16th February 2014 – by that day, the participants have to send eventual changes of the program and the scores for the jury members.
RULES OF THE COMPETITON
13th International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2013 is intended for vocal groups, female, male and mixed choirs.
Only amateur vocal groups and choirs can participate at the competition.
Conductor and eventual instrumentalists can be professional musicians.
The number of singers is limited: vocal group must have at least 4 and at most 11 singers, a choir must have at least 12 and at most 48 singers.
Number of participating choirs is limited: at most 4 vocal groups and 8 choirs can participate at the competition.
Artistic Council of the Competition (appointed by the Organising Committee) selects participating choirs according to their artistic merits, inherent in the application materials.
2. APPLICATION MATERIALS
Choirs must send to the organiser their application, consisting of a:
- Precisely filled-in Application Form.
- Recording of at least 3 compositions on CD or DVD, recorded in the period from 1 January 2014 to the time of application. The recordings should be a cappella music of 3 different periods/styles (for example: one from the renaissance period, one romantic and one contemporary composition).
- Short description of the choir and its activities (from 12 - 15 typewritten lines) with good (sharp) and interesting photography of the choir sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One clearly readable score of each composition, entered in the competition program, only exception is the score of compulsory Slovenian composition.
- Selected choirs will be obliged to send 6 additional copies of other competing compositions for the members of the Jury and the archive of the competition (photocopies are allowed only with Publisher’s written approval – or composer’s written approval for manuscripts) till Monday, 16th February 2013+4.
5 copies will be returned to the applicants. One copy of the scores will be held in archive of the competition.
1. THE COURSE OF THE COMPETITION
13th International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2013 is divided into non-competitive and 3 competitive events.
A: NON-COMPETITIVE EVENT:
Each choir must present musical program with stylistic integrity, characteristic for its native country (we are looking for original concept with folk or vocal jazz, pop, gospel, early music, or any other typical music or style from your native country)
- Performance in national costumes and singing by heart in case of folk-song program is much desired.
- The entire duration of the selected compositions should not exceed 7 minutes of pure music.
- Selected compositions cannot be repeated in the competitive programs.
B. COMPETITIVE PROGRAM CONSISTS OF 3 PROGRAMS:
1. Compulsory Program
- Composition by Jacobus Handl Gallus of choir’s own choice (Ed. Monumenta Artis Musicae Slovenie – MAMS Ljubljana),
Additional information on Gallus compositions: email@example.com, i licenced copies of the selected piece from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Composition from the Romantic period of choir’s own choice.
- Compulsory Folk Song Arrangement
- Vocal groups: Folk Song Arrangement of their native country, written after 1995. The song performed at the opening concert cannot be performed again.
- Choirs: Compulsory Slovenian song will be available from 8th September 2014. Choirs can get the copy of the score, English translation of the text and mp3 with pronuncination in Slovene language from Ms. Mihela Jagodic, email@example.com. Each choir will receive additional copies for all members of choir after the payment of admission (mailing expenses are included in the admission).
- Program must be sung a cappella. Entire duration of all 3 compositions must not exceed 12 minutes.
- Compulsory program must be performed in the prescribed order.
2. Free Program
- Choirs perform original compositions in this category (folk songs and their arrangements are not allowed!).
- Program must comprise at least 2 compositions.
- Program must be sung a cappella.
- Compositions from the compulsory program are not allowed in the free program.
- Entire duration of all compositions must be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Grand Prix of the 13. International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2015
At most 5 vocal groups/choirs with the highest average score from the compulsory and the free program will qualify for the Grand Prix Competition. The sequence of choirs will be drawn by lot in public.
- Program must comprise at least 3 compositions.
- Only one composition can be repeated from the compulsory or free program.
- Only one composition can be folksong.
- Only one composition can have instrumental accompaniment, if it is prescribed in the original score of the composition.
- Entire duration of all compositions must be in the range of 10 to 15 minutes.
Piano will be available for eventual accompaniment. Organiser is not obligated to provide any other instrument.
III. JURY AND THE RESULTS
1. COMPOSITION OF THE JURY
Jury will comprise 5 renowned members – experts in choral music: 2 from Slovenia and 3 from abroad.
2. WORK OF THE JURY
Each member of the jury will evaluate all competitive performances of each choir with numeric mark (the highest mark is 100).
Jury will evaluate:
- Technical prowess of each choir.
- Difficulty of selected program.
- Artistic persuasiveness of the performance.
3. ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
List of vocal groups/choirs that will be allowed to compete at the Grand Prix Competition will be made known at most one hour after the completion of the free program.
The results of the competitive performances will only be officially announced at the final ceremony on Sunday afternoon.
All Jury’s decisions are final and can not be appealed.
All competing choirs will receive a written appraisal of their performances by each member of the Jury.
Grand Prix of the 13th International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2015 will be awarded to the vocal group/choir with the highest average score from all 3 categories (Compulsory Program, Free Program and the Grand Prix Competition). The best vocal group/choir with a minimum of 12 singers will be chosen to compete at the finale for the European Grand Prix for Choral singing 2016.
In case of ex aequo vocal group/choir that wins more categories will be chosen to compete at the EGP 2016.
Monetary awards will be given according to the received scores at the competition.
- 1st place: the Grand Prix, the monetary award 2500 € and memorial plaque,
- 2nd place: the monetary award 2000 € and the memorial plaque,
- 3rd place: the monetary award 1500 € and the memorial plaque,
- 4th place: the memorial plaque for the finalist,
- 5th place: the memorial plaque for the finalist.
In the case of two or more equal scores, the actual monetary prize and the following prize(s) will be divided between the vocal groups/choirs in the equal amounts.
ADDITIONAL MONETARY AWARDS AND PRIZES
- To the best choir of equal voices if it is not the winner of the Grand Prix – 700 €,
- To the best vocal group if it is not the winner of the Grand Prix – 700 €,
- *To the conductor for the best performance of composition by Iacobus Handl Gallus – 250 €.
- *To the conductor for the best performance of compulsory contemporary Slovenian composition – 250 €.
- The award of public to the best choir of their choice at the Folk Song Concert –Award in kind.
- The panel of Slovene conductors will give The Memorial Award to the choir that will present the most original concept and convincing performance at the opening concert – Award in kind.
*On Jury’s proposal
Jury can also propose some additional diplomas.
Organiser will give Certificate of Participation at the International Choral Competition Maribor 2013 to all participating choirs.
V. FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS
1. ACCOMODATION AND MEALS
- Vocal Group/Choir – its singers, conductor and instrumentalists (up to 49 persons) have free accommodation in student dormitories from Friday (beginning at lunch) to Sunday (ending at the final banquet). In case the vocal group/choir would prefer to stay in the hotel the organiser covers the accommodation costs in the amount of the student dormitories. The choir has to pay the additional costs.
- All travel expenses are covered by the participating choirs themselves.
- All expenses due to premature arrival or postponed departure are covered by the individual choirs themselves.
2. RECORDING RIGHTS
- All rights on audio, video and photographic recordings made at the competition belong to the organiser. Choirs will not get any recompense for their performances; but will receive audio recording of their performances on CD’s and photos.
VI. LEGAL MATTERS
- Organiser is not responsible for any eventual mishaps, loses, thefts, or alike during a choir’s stay in Maribor.
- Slovenian and English are official languages at the competition.
- Original Slovenian text will be given preference in cases of dispute.
- Course of competition and its realisation is fully covered in the Regulations of the 13th International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2015 that can be obtained from the organiser.
- Organising Committee of the 13th International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor 2013 approved this document at its 1st session.
- Organising Committee has the sole responsibility to interpret it.
- Choirs confirm their approval of above-mentioned rules by sending a filled-in application form.
- Organising Committee retains the right to alter rules of competition in the case of unexpected vis major. In such case it must give written notice to all participating choirs.